Saturday, August 11, 2018

Topic #4 Media Product Review

Like Father

For this media project review I have chosen the new movie of "Like Father," a drama comedy film that is just over an hour and a half long. It recently has been added to Netflix as an original movie of theirs. Due to it being a brand new release for Netflix it was one of the first things I saw when I got to my home screen. What captured me is that Kelsey Grammer is one of the stars in this movie and I am a fan. I grew up watching a little bit of Fraiser and re-watched it a couple years ago. If you do not know what Fraiser is, it is a sitcom set in Seattle Washington where Grammer is a doctor who has a radio show. If you would like a little taste I will put a link here so you can watch a little trailer. The movie also has Kristen Bell who is a very solid actress. She has been in a wide spectrum of movies from "Zootopia" to "Bad Moms".
"Like Father is about a young woman who is so business minded that even at her own wedding she is on a call before she walks down the isle. It has been a problem before and her fiancé leaves her at the alter after her phone drops out of her bouquet. On top of that, her dad, played by Grammer, shows up at the wedding after leaving her and her mom when she was just a little kid. One thing leads to another and they end up going out for drinks and she invites her long lost dad on her honeymoon cruise. The adventure begins then. A very cool fact is that this movie was actually shot on Royal Caribbean Harmony and was delayed due to Hurricane Irma.

Now as of how the movie actually is, is up for some debate. The typical person probably is going to like this movie. Personally I thought it was ok/good. There are a couple parts where you disconnect from the movie because the acting isn't 100% great or its just cheese on top of cheese. Due to the fact that there isn't a great deep story line and it is somewhat predictable, Rotten Tomatoes hammered it. The ratings are mainly the audience scores but it is sitting at 49% which we all know is not the greatest. If you would like to see the site I will link it here. Even though it can be not the greatest movie all the time, I believe it carries good messages. The first one is mainly targeted at younger generations. Rachel, played by Bell is a workaholic who is addicted to her phone. She is always on it and it gets in the way of relationships. Over the course of the movie she starts to learn to let it go and live in the moment. Living life is better than being on your phone. The second is that you can heal relationships. Even though her dad left her, he had a loving heart and wanted to make things right. You can always make things better.

I do not want to make it sound like this is a bad movie. It is not. There are some touching parts that pull at your heart strings and some funny parts where you cannot help but laugh. There are some stereotypes in this movie as in when they make it to Jamaica and go on a hike to a swimming hole, their guide offers them a joint. Also the one who turns it down in the movie is known to always be smoking in real life and in other shows and movies. If you also think about it afterwards, you start to think if it was an ad for cruises. I found myself thinking, wow that looks fun. I soon realized that the only reason i thought that is because I just watched this film. Just as in the James Bond franchise, when they switched sponsors to BMW instead of Aston Martin, BMW sales went up 102%. I will put the link for the TED talk I heard that fact in here. So it does seem like a little bit of marketing went on. 

Overall I think Netflix did a good job. Yes not every movie is going to be a smashing hit bit this one is good. They will get a lot of views because it is advertised on everyone's home page and it has a wide range of people who would watch it based on the stars in it. I know my parents were talking about watching due to the fact Grammer is in it. If you have some time or you are looking for something to watch at night I would recommend this. Its an easy watch with some comical laughs in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment