Thursday, August 23, 2018

Music: Week 9

Music is a very unique and powerful feature of human kind. Censorship of music has been going on for as long as it has been. The main concern is for young people not to be afflicted by corrupting influences. As kids our parents shield us from explicit music that will infiltrate or minds. As we grow up we start listening to more music because we more mature and can handle it. For instance I remember well listening to Mambo No.5 as a younger kid. I had no idea what the meaning of the song was I just thought it had a good tune to it. I was not allowed to listen to songs with explicit words or references I knew what it meant. As I look back on it now, I'm thankful for the protection because there is so much music out there now and it is so easy to access. I think it is in a kids best interest to not let them listen to all the music they want as they are growing up. I listened to oldies, rock, and some pop. I didn't listen to rap or anything that would have explicit content until about middle school. As I grew up, I started discovering more music and I think that is the way to go. Filter the music as a kid and then as they grow up they will find music on their own.

There has been many times where music has been playing on shuffle around my family and a song has come on and I make my way over to my phone to change it. This is for many reasons. The song has explicit content that isn't proper for that setting, and the song isn't the feel of what we want. It's not a relaxing feeling when you're eating dinner listening to Nora Jones and the next song that pops up is Lil John "Otta Your Mind." Music protection is now based on the moment I am listening to music and if younger kids are around.

It is hard to give my top 5 artist because I like so much music. I joke with people that if you looked at my library, you'd think that at least 3 people are using it because there is such a wide variety of music. So a soft, nonspecific top 5 would have to be: Nat King Cole, Micheal Jackson, Brad Paisley, 38 Special, and because I am only limited to 5 I'll go with Tower of Power. As you can see that is a wide variety, but I love all types of music.

I do like the idea of a LBCC radio station. Even though this is my last term I think I would have enjoyed a radio station. I do think it is feasible to get one at LB. Our community is very inclusive for student involvement and a radio station would a great way to get people involved in broadcasting and involved as a listener.

Two program types that the radio station could provide is almost three. Seems how it is a LB radio station, it should inform and have news about what is going on around campus and what things are happening in the future. It also should give some local news that would pertain to its listeners. Another program type can be music. Now there are many types of people who go to LB so there could be music hours with different hosts that play a certain type of music.

To get started the station would need some money so they could create a go fund me page and do local fundraisers like selling things on campus and doing car washes. After the start up they can offer ad space for people and businesses. This way there would be a steady influx of money coming into the radio station to keep it going. I do think a radio station would be a good addition to LBCC.

No comments:

Post a Comment