Thursday, June 28, 2018

Media Blog Forum Week 1
Topic 1: About Me

My name is Kaj Bansen. Most are confused by my first name, but it is pronounced like Ky. This class is part of the last ones I am taking to get my AAOT in general studies. I will be attending SOU next fall where I am going to be play basketball and studying english. I kind of figured out that I like writing the most and it's what I'm best at so that is why I chose english. I started my venture at LB for  the main reason of basketball because I really loved it but not so much the school portion. Two years later I don't LOVE the school portion but I defiantly have learned a lot here. Overall I would really love it if I could teach and coach basketball for a career and work on the farm in the summer (I live on an Organic Valley dairy farm). 

The main thing I am interested about in media is the whole area of advertising. How companies use certain things to make you want to buy their products, even the underlying affects that we don't spot because they're non-cognitive. The whole area of, for lack of better words, playing with peoples minds is intriguing.

Outside of school I love basketball. It is a passion, a hobby, and something I will continue to do until I cannot. I also like to hit the links and golf even though I am not the greatest at all. Other than athletics and being active as I said earlier I like to write. When I have time I add to my poetry book. I also enjoy breaking out my camera for snapping some photographs. And finally I am the biggest fan of The Office and Hot Rod.

Topic 2: Consumed Information

My three main sources of information are going to be Snapchat with the different tiles. I mainly watch SportsCenter and Stay Tuned. I use these because I use snapchat a lot and so I am already there. It also is pretty quick with only taking around a couple minutes to get through the stories they have for the day. Another source I get information from would be radio, mainly NPR. In all of our work trucks we have the station programed into it and whenever we are going somewhere we have it on. Finally, the last of my three main sources would have to be the Statesman and Itemizer Observer (newspapers). My family gets the newspaper every day and I normally at least take a glance at headlines during breakfast. I would consider my main news sources pretty reliable. They have been around for a while and done a good job and they liable for mistakes made and if one does happen they tend to clear it up.

The fake news epidemic is very concerning. With what has happened in the past couple of years it has brought a whole other level to the fake news realm which involves our president as well. People are not thinking as much these days as to what they pass on and some of the things are opinions or just straight fairy tales made up out of nothing. In todays world you have to be careful where you get your news. It should come from a respectable place that has a history of being reliable and truthful. To make sure I get the real news or know if something is creditable to pass on,  I check a couple different sources to make sure it is all saying the same thing. If different credible sources are saying the same thing, that news is going to be accurate.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kaj! My roommate will also be attending SOU in the fall, it's a great school. What is it like living on a dairy farm? Has your family been doing that your whole life or it is a new venture?
    I like Hot Rod, but really don't like the Office. Have you ever seen Parks and Rec? This is one pf my favorite shows.
    Its cool that you also read hard copies of the news paper. Do you ever find it restricting? Or do you ever search for other news options? For instance, the news app on my phone is very helpful in allowing me to get a large spread of information and opinions on topics. Hopefully you are having a good summer!

    ReplyDelete